Town of Fuquay Varina hosts annual Christmas tree lighting

The chamber choir, directed by Tyler Cole, continues practicing for their performance at the Christmas tree lighting.
Ella Wachtel

Fuquay Varina will be hosting their annual Christmas tree lighting in downtown Fuquay from 6-9 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 30. This will be located in the parking lot on the corner of Vance and Main Street, in the Fuquay Business District.

There are many fun elements of the tree lighting event for everyone. There will be sleigh rides hosted by the Fuquay-Varina Downtown Association. This is open to anyone and will be run by many locals, including FVHS student volunteers. There will also be a picture opportunity with Santa Claus available to everyone located in Mineral Spring Park. Additionally there will be an Artist Village and treats like s’mores and hot cocoa. To top it off, there will be the actual lighting of the Christmas tree nearing the end of the night.

To add to the rest of the festivities, many local groups will perform including the FVHS Chamber Choir. The Chamber Choir performs annually at the event and looks forward to it every year.

Senior and soprano 2 in the choir, Katelyn Aaron, said, “I really like the atmosphere of the tree lighting. I love Christmas time and it’s really fun to see the whole town come together and focus on this one thing. It’s just so happy and everyones always having such a good time.”

The Chamber Choir has been working hard to prepare multiple pieces for this event. One of their favorites is a song called “Blow Thou Winter Wind.” This piece includes many complex parts, including a twelve part round, which involves each group singing different parts at the same time.

“It sounds like it would be chaotic, but when it comes together, it sounds awesome and is really fun,” said Aaron.

The choirs performing at the tree lighting range from all ages, even elementary school students. Senior and Soprano 1 of the Chamber Choir, Skye Blackburn, has been performing at the Fuquay Varina Christmas Tree Lighting for many years, since she was a young elementary student. The nostalgic experience is important to her.

“I feel like a lot of people don’t really see arts education in school as a priority. Having us go out and perform at things like the tree lighting or other town events really makes people see us and how many kids are really involved in the arts. It makes people understand the arts once they can see a successful performance and how good we are,” Blackburn said.

Students continue to stay involved in many ways, and everyone can be involved by attending. Everybody is encouraged to attend the festivities in downtown Fuquay on Saturday Nov. 30. Bring your family, friends, and cheerful holiday attitudes.