Teacher shortage causes FVHS to have subs or no class

Over the years, schools in WCPSS have been having trouble hiring and keeping teachers with a proper educational background. 

Like many other high schools, FVHS is missing teachers as well. The French teacher from last year moved back to France and started teaching English there, and an English teacher transferred to another school for a better job opportunity.

Since the French teacher left there was no one to fill in for the class so substitute teacher Sandy Allen stepped up and has been filling in since the start of the 2023 school year.

Senior Anylah Williams, who is currently taking French, stated, “Yes I do feel like I’m learning things in that class. Mrs. Allen does a really good job with keeping the class in check and she always does what’s best. I would be excited if a [French] teacher comes in but at the same time, I would be sad because Mrs. Allen has been such a good teacher.”

The teacher shortage at WCPSS was troubling especially after the Covid pandemic that sent everyone into a frenzy. Since the pandemic caused schools to shut down,  teachers were laid off, some quit to start another profession and others decided that it was a good time to retire. This made it troubling when students were being brought into the school again.

WCPSS isn’t only having trouble with teachers but with substitutes too. Substitutes are important because they take over for a teacher who isn’t there or until the school can find a replacement. They also keep students in check and keep other teachers from worrying about that class. Anyone who has a high school diploma can be a substitute teacher, but even so, there aren’t many willing to substitute.

Substitute teachers and teachers are important and are needed at FVHS in order to give students the best possible education.