Bus Driver shortage causes students issues

Buses leave the school Wednesday, September 21 with as many students as possible in hopes they don’t have to come back, leaving students to have to wait.
E

Bus driver shortage at FVHS has caused delays and some bus routes to be canceled. This has prevented students from getting home quicker.

Not only does it affect students who use the bus as transportation, but it also affects other schools in our area. School only started five weeks ago, and FVHS has already had problems with bus routes being behind schedule. This causes issues for students that take the bus to and from school and don’t have another way to get home.

Sophomore Sophia Bencivenga stated that her bus has been “delayed almost every single day.”

Since we are short of drivers, the bus drivers have long trips to make. Even with our drivers, sometimes double-backs can happen. Double backs are when a bus goes back from where it came from. This happens when a bus gets canceled so a bus that has already left to drop off students comes back to the school to pick up another group of students.

“Sometimes we would have different drivers because of double-backs,” stated freshman Myracal Cromartie. It makes students waste time, and that time could’ve been used for doing homework or even spending time with friends. 

“The double backs make me come home later than usual,” said freshman Kathrine Pittman.

Bus drivers have to deal with a lot of students daily, but they always make sure to bring the students safely to school and back to their homes, even when students try to cause trouble.

Sophomore Brianna Ziegler stated that the students on the bus were often “disruptive and annoying.” If students are really being disruptive, it can distract the bus driver from their main focus.

“Sometimes they would throw things, sometimes they would jump up and down when the bus goes over bumps,” said Ziegler. This behavior could lead to an accident.

FVHS is lucky to have drivers that have the time to go to our school to drop off and pick up students throughout the day even when the students themselves try to cause trouble on the bus. After the bus drivers finish dropping off the high schoolers, some go to middle schools and then to elementary schools. Parents hope that WCPSS will soon get more bus drivers so students can find their way to school and home quicker.