Canvas replaces Google Classroom in Wake County

Wake County chooses that students need to use Canvas over Google Classroom.
E

The switch from Google Classroom to Canvas was a sudden and difficult  adjustment for many students.  As Google Classroom was more user friendly, transitioning to Canvas and figuring out its different layout became a struggle. 

“Google Classroom was much easier to use compared to Canvas,” said sophomore Anthony Hallsan. Students and teachers alike are having issues with this new software and are having trouble making it work.

The cause of the switch is Google beginning to charge for Google Classroom subscriptions instead of it being free. The cost of Google Classroom is now $5 per student every year. If Wake County were to use Google Classroom for only FVHS, it would cost around $11,000 per year.

This rather large price tag would make it practically impossible for Wake County to use Google Classroom with almost 190,000 students. Wake County Public Schools is the largest school system in the state, and the 14th largest in the country as of 2016. If Wake County itself were to continue using Google Classroom, it would cost just under $1 million per year.

With this expense, it’s unlikely to bring Google Classroom back. Canvas is the better option for the county, but as for the students and teachers, it will take some work to get used to.

View Comments (2)