TV shows versus movies

TV shows and movies both offer different experiences.There are many viewers who prefer to watch TV shows, while others find movies more enjoyable.
Photo by Glenn Carstens-Peters on Unsplash.

The debate over whether movies or television is better has gone on for decades. Some people like the continuous storylines of TV shows, while others prefer to have a nice and shorter experience with watching movies.

“I prefer movies over TV shows because you don’t have to wait for the next episode, you can just watch the whole thing in one sitting,” said sophomore Sophia Bencivenga.

However, others like TV shows because they are typically longer and can be added onto at any time. 

“TV shows tend to last longer and don’t usually have horrible prequels,” said sophomore Aden Leach.

With the influx of streaming services in modern times, it has become a lot easier for media to be consumed from the comfort of the viewer’s home.

“I use a lot of streaming services, but I like watching movies I’m really interested in at the movie theater,” said Bencivenga. 

Leach agreed and said, “I love going to the movies but I never get to go anymore, so I just watch Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, and Prime Video.”

With the question of which is better at adaptations, movies seem to be the clear answer. 

“Movies are better at adapting other media, and most movies are created from books so it makes sense,” said Bencivenga.

However, TV shows have many creative aspects as well.

“I think shows have the ability to have crazy, unique plots, and aren’t limited to the timeframe of a movie,” said Leach.

Bencivenga agreed and said, “I think both have pretty good writing, but TV shows have to keep coming up with ways to keep watchers’ attention, so it forces writers to think of new and interesting plot ideas. TV shows are also better at leaving the audience on cliffhangers, keeping them drawn in.”

Regardless, cinema is a great way for actors, writers, and artists to tell a story in a short amount of time. Whether you watch movies or TV shows more, most people agree that cinema is incredibly innovative.