FVHS presents Black History Month Celebration

Fuquay Varina High School celebrates Black History Month with a presentation on Feb 29, 2024.
Ella Wachtel

Thursday, Feb. 29, 2024, Fuquay Varina High School’s very own Black Student Union celebrated their culture with the student body. They involved Principal Mike James and the rest of the administration in the celebration, along with the FVHS dance company and the National Achievers Society. The school did this as a way to celebrate Black History Month and the culture surrounding it. 

Students in the clubs presented their ideas of their culture in different ways. Some of the students read quotes, performed African American music and dances, and played videos of inspirational messages.

“I chose my quote because it referenced Black history and what our culture has faced and is still facing today,” said junior and member of BSU Delmar Barber.

Other members presented very moving and emotional quotes, along with the song “Lift Every Voice and Sing” as performed by Andra Day that was played during this celebration.

“I chose the song ‘Lift Every Voice and Sing’ because it’s the Black National Anthem song.  I chose the version sung at the Super Bowl because Andra Day is a great singer and because of the way she represents our culture,” said senior and member of BSU Laniyah Montgomery.

African Americans of the past and present were represented at the celebration. The FVHS dance company did a contemporary dance to one of John Legend’s songs. As a way to show the hardship and struggle that African American culture has faced in our history, really making the audience feel what they were portraying. 

Assistant Principal Kristi Leak and Barber wanted to show another side of their culture that wasn’t just hardship, but family. At the end of the celebration, they decided to have a family reunion.

This included everyone standing up and dancing to recent music that is part of African American culture. The auditorium became like what could be represented at an African American family reunion with dancing and community. 

“The dancing showed what a Black family reunion means. Also, I danced the best, and the school needs to have a big family reunion on the field,” said Barber.

Even though this was a major part of what the school did to celebrate Black History, students at FVHS also made announcements about important Black figures, put up posters around the school, and participated in spirit week. 

Though February is the official Black History Month, every month should celebrate Black History. Black culture is represented all around; you just have to be looking.