Womens golf wins championship

Fuqay Varinas High School golf team finishes strongly, ending with their coach gaining the title of the Greater Neuse River Conference Coach Of The Year For Women’s Golf. Kaitlynn Barnes(left) and Connie Barnes(right), credited to Evelyn Walters.

The womens golf team won the Greater Neuse River Conference Championship on Oct. 16, 2023. Coach Barnes was named the Greater Neuse River Conference Coach of the Year for Women’s Golf, and Kaitlynn Barnes won the conference golfer of the year. 

Junior Ali Field has been playing golf since freshman year. Field qualified for states in Pinehurst as she shot a 90 in the East Regional to qualify for the NCHSAA Women’s Golf State Championship.

“It feels really good to qualify. It was one of my goals last year and to qualify to be some of the top girls in the state feels good,” said Field.

This year there was a seven-girl playoff to get one spot in states.

“I’m most excited to go play states for the first time,” said Field.

Senior Tessa Yamamoto has been playing golf for two years this season. 

“I started playing golf because my mom played golf in the past and I needed to take up a new sport,” said Yamamoto.

Golf can become a really competitive sport, especially when it comes to states and regionals. Golf is a mental sport more than physical. You have to have the right state of mind, and it can become challenging at some points. 

“My favorite part of the team is my coaches because they are very supportive, and you want to improve for them too, not just yourself. Golf is more of an individual sport than a team sport, but we all work together really well, and we have respect for each other. I think that’s because of the coaches. They don’t put negative pressure on you,” said Yamamoto. 

Golf had a successful record this season with 9 wins. The NCHSAA Womens Golf State Championship is on Oct. 30 in Pinehurst.