Most underrated sport at FVHS

Womens FVHS lacrosse players deserve more appreciation and fans in the stands.
Joshua Loughren

What is the most underrated sport at FVHS? Many different sports ring a bell, from basketball, to track, to swimming, these are some of the most underrated sports at FVHS. However, many would say that the lacrosse program is the most underrated sport at FVHS. 

The lacrosse program at FVHS often goes unnoticed, despite consistently delivering impressive performances. Although they attract less attention than is deserved, the players’ skills shine through by delivering amazing games and performing well, time and time again.

Despite the lack of recognition, the mens team maintains an impressive 8-4 record, securing second place in their conference with a 5-2 standing. 

Similarly, the womens team holds a 10-1 record, also having second place in their conference with a 4-1 standing. What’s even more impressive is the womens team’s ascent to the 26th spot statewide, while the mens team holds a respectable 68th position. 

“I think the lacrosse programs are underrated…with how well we perform you’d think we get more recognition for it. That’s not just the girls team, but the guys as well. Neither team gets as much attention as they deserve,” said sophomore Gillian Gavette.

Gavette’s sentiment is not unique as other members of the lacrosse team agree with her.

“The team definitely doesn’t get a lot of recognition. The student section is usually empty, and not many people go besides parents,” said senior Landon Stevenson.

The lack of attention around lacrosse isn’t just noticed by the players, but students as well.

“I’d have to say lacrosse is probably the most underrated out of all the sports,” said sophomore Madilyn Cassidy.

The reasoning behind lacrosse’s lack of popularity is unknown, but it could be because other sports like football, baseball, and basketball are more well known and are typically the main sports for their respective seasons.

The FVHS womens lacrosse team can be seen in action on Friday, April 12 at 7:30 p.m. against the Clayton Comets at home. The mens lacrosse team can also be seen playing on Friday, April 12, against the Corinth Holders Pirates on the road at 6 p.m.