Why is there a decline in student athletes?

The decline in student athletes puts JV teams at risk due to not having enough people to make two full teams.
Ella Wachtel

Over the past couple of years there has been a decrease in student athletes. This has affected the possibility of fielding JV teams for certain sports. What has happened to our student athletes?

According to edweek.org, “Sports educators also warn that, just as many students who experienced school disruptions during the pandemic lost academic ground, student athletes have experienced ‘learning loss’ in sports.”

When Covid hit, many players had to stop playing due to the no contact rule. Over that time, many players lost their skills from not being able to practice for so long.

This lack of student athletes hasn’t just affected FVHS but schools across Wake County. In sports, the environment and the people you play with is a very important aspect for a lot of athletes.

Coaches are a huge aspect in sports, and they are overall the people that push you to do your best. But when the coaches aren’t as encouraging, it is easier to not like your sport as much.

“Over the years the environment and the people obviously have changed,” said Nyla Robinson-Patridge, FVHS sophomore softball player.

Previous softball player Ava Bordelon says she didn’t try out this year because of the coaching change that was made. Long time coach Debroah Clarke retired.

“For a moment I lost interest in softball because I wasn’t doing good, and I was like, why am I putting so much work into something I don’t really like? Then I took a break, and over the break, I was getting everything together, laying out my options.  I was like, you know what, I want to go to college and do this, so I have to figure it out,” said Robinson-Partridge.

Since Covid, the cost of everything has been on the rise, and people aren’t able to afford the cost of their child playing sports. 

According to edweek.org, “Nationwide, federal health data show less than a third of children ages 6 to 17 in families with incomes below the federal poverty level played sports, versus 70 percent of children in families with incomes more than four times the federal poverty level.”

Overall, there are many different reasons why there is a decrease in student athletes. You should look at this as an opportunity to get involved and on the field or court.