Should students have jobs while in school?

Senior Patrick Eckert works as a cashier at Harris Teeter after school.
Ella Wachtel

Students can apply for jobs while in school for a number of reasons, whether to gain money, prepare for adult life, or to pay for college. Getting a job can be beneficial, it can also be a strain on mental health and grades.

“The reason I have a job now is because I need to save up money for college,” said sophomore Brian Orr. Some people can’t afford college tuition, or have to pay for it by themselves, and having a job helps the saving process.

Orr works at Windsor Point, where he waits tables for the elderly. He works from 3-7p.m., four days a week. This can be difficult if he has a lot of homework to do.

“I think having a job is helping me prepare for life after school because I’m learning how to work with all kinds of people and how to problem solve,” said senior Jasper Franks. Franks works at Food Lion, which teaches him customer service skills that can be used for any kind of situation.

Orr agrees, saying having a job prepares him for the future by “getting used to the work ethic.” 

However, jobs can have a strain on your mental health, as Franks expressed.

“My anxiety is a lot worse ever since getting a job because it’s hard to juggle all of the things I’ve got going on,” said Franks.

Having a job can be both beneficial and harmful while in school. It’s important to make sure to keep up with schoolwork, and your mental health should always be a priority.