Senior Brian Oakley steps up to the plate as the varsity baseball team faces Holly Springs High School in their first game of the season.
Erin Fahringer

Spring sports starting up again at FVHS

As the second semester comes into full swing at Fuquay-Varina High School, we see winter sports come to an end and spring sports begin to start. Here’s what to expect this season.

From track to golf many sports are starting up this season, and along with that comes many new opportunities for student athletes to play and show off their skills.

Sports like baseball and softball are starting up this season with games and scrimmages being held this past week. Varsity baseball has their first official game against the Holly Springs Hawks this upcoming Tuesday, Feb. 27. Varsity softball has their first game alongside baseball against the Hawks on Feb. 27.

Track and field for both men and women is starting up with many different events combined into one team for the 2024 season. Track events include the 100, 200, 400, 800, etc. and the field events include discus, shot put, long jump, and more.

Mens golf is beginning, led by Coach Harpster, with their first match next Wednesday on Feb. 28.

Mens tennis is also starting up as they begin their season on Feb. 28 with their first game against Corinth Holders High School.

Womens soccer is also starting this spring with games through the rest of the semester. The soccer team has their first match up against the Holly Springs Hawks on Feb. 26.

Mens and womens lacrosse is starting as early as games beginning on Feb. 27 for both women and mens varsity teams. Junior varsity has games in early March.

Some people who play spring sports consider their sports to be underappreciated because they don’t have the popularity of large sports like football or basketball. 

“I think lacrosse is underappreciated…not just womens but mens varsity and JV as well…People sometimes overlook the fact we won our conference last year and had a winning record. We were pretty good,” said Gillian Gavette, a sophomore lacrosse player.

Overall, we are all wishing FVHS spring teams good luck in their upcoming seasons.