FVHS Varsity wrestling prepares for tough matchups in upcoming tournament

De’Mari Maxson, a wrestler for Fuquay Varina High School, competed at North Johnston High School.
E

FVHS is traveling to Green Hope High School this Saturday, Dec. 2, 2023, to face off in the Green Hope Grapple Tournament. 

So far this season, FVHS is 1-3 with a win over North Johnston High School.

The Bengals are expected to face hurdles with a young student-athlete team throughout this 2023-2024 wrestling season.

“I feel amazing and great about how our team has performed so far,” said Dominic Austin, a sophomore FVHS wrestler. 

Austin is in the 138 weight class and is currently 3-1 in his first matches of the season. He is ready to face tough competition this weekend at Green Hope High School. 

The Bengals, on Nov. 30, 2023, won 3 matches at Pinecrest High School. Lucas Prestipino, De’mari Maxson, and Nehemia Ortega won these key early-season matches.

“It felt really good to win my first varsity match,” said Lucas Prestipino, a sophomore FVHS wrestler. Prestipino is currently 1-3 and will compete in his first tournament of the season at the Green Hope Grapple. 

This will be one of the most important tournaments of the season, with powerhouse teams like Holly Springs High School, Cleveland High School, and Willow Springs High School all competing. 

In total, there will be over 25 teams competing this weekend at this crucial tournament for early season rankings.

The Bengals will have to be ready to put in the work at practice this week because this weekend will be one of the most important weeks of the season. 

The FVHS wrestling team is 1-3, and with a couple of wins this weekend, they can get a head start in conference matchups and hopefully have a spot in the wrestling state championship.

“I am confident we will have a great weekend at Green Hope. We will definitely win multiple matches at different weight classes,” said Prestipino.