Varsity football team pushes to third round of state playoffs in stellar victory

Fuquay Varina High School football team wins their 2nd round of playoffs against Ashley High School

Last Friday the FVHS varsity football team defeated the Ashley High School Screaming Eagles in the second round of the state playoffs with a score of 10-7.

The 24th seed Ashley was the favorite against the 25 seed Bengals. In their previous game against Pine Forest High School, Ashley won 38-19. This was also an upset as Pine Forest was ranked ninth.

Fuquay was projected to lose to Ashley 15-26, according to Maxpreps. This can be accredited to Fuquay’s 5-6 record and Ashley’s 7-4 record going into the game.

This game was a lot lower scoring than Maxpreps projected. 

“Defense came out, executed really well, and gave us the chance to score,” said senior cornerback Malcolm Ziglar.

The Bengals have also kicked a lot more field goals in the playoffs than they did in the regular season. 

“Feels great to know that I am able to make an impact in the game, kicking field goals more often,” said junior kicker Juan Drake.

Drake had one field goal as well as an extra point in the game against Ashley, and Ziglar scored the only touchdown for Fuquay.

Fuquay is the lowest ranked team in the third round sitting at 25th. They play the number one seed Rolesville High School for their third round match.

Fuquay is projected to lose 50-15 according to Maxpreps, but the Bengals have had no problem upsetting high ranked teams so far this season, and they show no signs of stopping.

“I think that we are going to win, if you don’t, then there is no point in even going out there,” said junior quarterback Connor Castle.

Fuquay’s third round game will be Friday, Nov. 17 at 7 p.m. at Rolesville High School. Come out and support your Bengals as they continue their run to the state championship.