FVHS cross-country team starts their season with big races

The Womens Cross Country team for 2023-2024.
The Women’s Cross Country team for 2023-2024.
Lemonica Rasberry

The FVHS cross-country season is in full swing, with a young team looking for victory.

This year’s cross-country team has 28 runners, only three of which are seniors. Five of the 28 are juniors and the remaining runners are sophomores and freshmen.

“This year, we have way more freshmen overall, a few sophomores, but the majority of the team are freshmen,” said cross-country coach Monica Rasberry.

Rasberry has high hopes for the team, saying, “I just hope that we continue to have a great season, I love the way we are running right now.”

The highest ranked runner of the men’s team is sophomore Brandon Williams. Williams placed third out of 230 at the Adidas Cross-country Challenge and placed in the top 10 in the Ronald Hortan Classic.

“I feel like cross-country is a fun challenge because of the courses, which are way more challenging than track season,” said Williams.

The highest ranked member of the women’s team is sophomore Maddie St. Pierre. St. Pierre placed eighth out of 180 at the Adidas Cross-country Challenge. She also placed in the top 10 in the Ronald Hortan Classic.

“The runs are really nice, and its fun to run with your friends,” said St. Pierre.

Their next race is the Great American Invitational, which will be this weekend at the WakeMed Soccer Park.