Football season has tough start

FVHS 2022-23 football team.
FVHS 2022-23 football team.
Christian Helfrich

Both football teams have had a rough start this season. So far, JV has a 0-6 record. Varsity has a 1-4 record this season.

Last season, varsity had a 7-5 record, and JV had a 2-7 record.

So far into this season, both teams aren’t looking so good, but varsity still has five games until the end of the season. JV has four games until the end of the season. 

Math teacher Vincent Pratama is the head JV coach and also the assistant varsity football coach.

“I like to coach directly and hands-on, visually showing what I want the team to do. I like to help them see the bigger picture,” said Pratama.

When Willow Springs High School opened,  the football team lost most of their juniors. 

“We’ve had a rough start this season; we have a very young crew. We have 13 sophomores playing varsity. We lost a lot of players due to the WSHS opening,” said Pratama. 

They have had a tough start to this season because of losing so many players this year due to re-zoning of the area. The football team has five varsity games left for the season so hopefully we can pick back up and win these last few.  

The next football game is scheduled for Sep. 29 at 7:30 p.m at Cleveland High School. The next home game will be the school’s homecoming football game against Corinth Holders High School on Oct. 6.