Bring snacks in school vending machines back

Students are left to question why the snack vending machine got taken away.
Ella Wachtel

Snacks being easily accessible at schools is a must have. Teens need to eat in order to succeed in school. It becomes difficult to focus in class on an empty stomach. 

A Southern Wake Academy student named Chada Amele said , “It’s outrageous. I’m starving by the time I get to second period but not starving enough to eat the cafeteria food, starving, as in, I need a bag of chips or salted almonds.”

Some kids don’t even eat breakfast in the morning and lunch is too far away. Kids deserve to have another option so their stomachs aren’t growling during class. Having vending machines full of snacks is an accessible and convenient way for kids to just grab a snack on their way to class, or even to get an emergency snack in the middle of classes.

School vending machines could have a variety of different snacks. Trail mix is high in protein, and chocolate granola bars contain sugar which would help teens feel less tired and more stimulated throughout school hours. Doritos are a popular choice amongst kids these days. 

Also, by having snack vending machines, it will increase the school’s revenue. Since it’s so popular to students, it would be a good boost to the school’s funding. 

Having easily obtainable snacks for the kids in schools is important so they’re not distracted by hunger and can focus more on their classes and class work. Students being hangry does not result in good things. They will be unfocused in class, causing them to fail, drop out of high school, and live in their parents’ basements for the rest of their lives, eating chips and playing video games. Snacks are one step in helping students live productive lives.