Heres the Girls Tennis team getting ready to practice.
Here’s the Girls Tennis team getting ready to practice.
Christian Helfrich

Girls tennis team starts season

The girls tennis season has had a successful start this season with a record of 5-6. At home, they have won three games and away they have won two games. 

Senior tennis player Paige Connors said, “I’ve been playing tennis since my freshman year of high school. I haven’t been playing as well as I would like to, but I love the sport. 

Connors is very involved with sports in school and out of school. She plays tennis and soccer at the school, and lacrosse and softball outside of school. 

Connors said, “I’ve not played the best as my other season, but I’m still doing good.”

The girls tennis team has a 5-4 record in the conference. With a 5-6 record so far this season, they could match the 2022-23 season’s record of 10-6. 

The team has four more games before they make it to the conference playoffs. 

Marshall Wortham coaches tennis and also teaches English at the school. He has been coaching for 20 years in total.

“I just like to make it an environment where you want to do your best and practice a match so you aren’t surprised by anything,” said Wortham.

Last year they lost a good portion of the team due to graduation.

“So far, we pretty much have a whole new team. Nine seniors graduated last year. From the start to now, we are getting much better,” said Wortham.

The next match is being held at FVHS on Monday, Sept. 25, at 3:30 p.m. against Garner High School.