The Origins of Old Saint Nick

The idea of Santa Claus has been an idea for hundreds of years. Although it has adapted, people wonder where Santa Claus came from.

As you grow older, you start to wonder difficult things about life. Many people ponder the origin of the man who lights up our Christmas morning, Santa Claus.

The root of Santa Claus can be traced back to the historical figure of Saint Nicholas. Saint Nicholas was a fourth-century Christian bishop in Myra, which is known today as Turkey. The bishop was known for his acts of kindness, especially his generosity towards the less fortunate and his secret gift-giving.  

In honor of Saint Nicholas, many European countries would start a tradition of gift-giving and charity on Dec. 6. 

Later on, a figure similar looking to Saint Nicholas would emerge in the Netherlands; however, this character wore a red suit and a white beard and was named Sinterklaas 

Yet the name “Santa Claus” didn’t show up until Dutch colonists brought the tradition of Sinterklaas to America. It would then evolve into the name we know today, “Santa Claus.” 

Sophomore Stephanie Calo stated, “It’s amazing how everything leads up to the legend of Santa Claus that will continue to live for continuing generations.”

Then in the 19th century, the image of Santa would be evolved by American influences. 

Famous author Washington Irving’s writings would project the modern Santa we know by portraying him smoking a pipe, jolly, and riding in a wagon in the famous poem, “The Night Before Christmas.”

However, the iconic red suit with the white fur trim was popularized by the Coca-Cola Company’s advertising in the 1930s. 

Freshman Brooke White stated, “When you think about Santa, you think of the iconic red suit and long white beard.”

In all, the Santa Claus we all know and love was a result of cultural fusion and evolution, and the legend will continue to live on for generations to come.