Breakaway Takes Local Music Scene by Storm

Students of FVHS form a new band Breakaway. Camden Mudryk, Christopher Papagianneris, Sydney King, Charlie Bird, and Carter Mudryk.
Jeremy King

Fuquay-Varina has a new sensation emerging that promises to shake up the local music scene. FVHS students have formed a band called Breakaway, consisting of five talented teenagers: Sydney King as the lead singer, Chris Papagianneris and Charlie Bird on guitars, Camden Mudryk on the drums, and Carter Mudryk on the bass.

These five teens all share a passion for music. They were originally going to be called Break Out Fever, but switched to the name Breakaway after deciding that sounded “too disco.”

“Chris and I wanted to start a band, then we found other people and now we’re running it equally. We decided to start this band because Chris and I have been playing for a long time. We just wanted to start a band, it’s fun,” said Bird.

If you want to hire Breakaway for a gig or have any inquiries you can contact them on their Instagram, @breakaway__band.

“I’ve always wanted to be in a band. I’ve been playing guitar for five years. It’s been a dream of mine to perform on stage. I hope to make some original songs soon. My favorite song we’ve done is ‘Life is a Highway’ by Rascal Flatts,” said Papagianerris

To complete their lineup, Bird and Papagianneris scouted their high school for talented musicians, and their search led them to some remarkable individuals. King joined as the lead singer, Camden on drums, and his brother Carter on bass.

“I joined Breakaway because they needed a singer. My favorite part about being in Breakaway is forming relationships. We once sat in a hot tub for like five hours just talking about music, it’s just fun,” said King.

On Aug, 18, the band had their first gig at The Fainting Goat. The turnout was nothing short of spectacular. FVHS students and residents flocked to the venue, cheering them on. Breakaway performed an amazing cover of ‘Creep’ by Radiohead.

“My favorite thing about Breakaway is their energy. When they get on stage it is immaculate, it’s unlike most bands I’ve ever seen. I’ve seen professional bands play and some of them don’t have the same energy as this band. They’re all jamming, and having a great time. My favorite cover that Breakaway has done is ‘Creep’ by Radiohead. I love to support them when I’m able to,” said senior Kyne Starler.

As the word spreads about this talented group of young musicians, Breakaway is receiving more and more opportunities to showcase their talents. They recently performed for a teenager’s party.

This is just the beginning of Breakaway’s journey in the world of music. As they continue to grow as artists and performers, the future is bright for this group of talented teenagers from FVHS. Watch out for Breakaway as they continue to break away from the ordinary and make their mark on the local, and perhaps national music scene.

View Comments (1)