FVHS slushie machine makes its debut
FVHS slushie machine makes its debut
Christian

How Slushees Changed the Game at FVHS

FVHS has recently rolled out an exciting addition to its lunch menu: slushies. They’re available during lunch for just $1.50. With approximately 10 flavors in the lineup, the lunch staff is currently offering samples as they gauge student preferences. Among the options served so far, the top favorites include blue raspberry, cherry, and popping ice.

The decision to introduce slushies comes from a need to generate revenue, especially in the aftermath of COVID-19. 

According to cafeteria worker Linda Winn, “We’re trying to get some revenue going because COVID pretty much hurt us. We’re separate from the school system. We’re a nonprofit organization.” The money they make from selling full meals, which consists of a drink, entree, and fruit/vegetables, is how they’re able to support their program. 

Assistant Principal Ben Olin shed some light on the origins of this idea.

“The cafeteria workers had used the slushie machines at the Willow Spring campus when our school was being built, and they sold really well. They wanted to do it when we came here, but they didn’t have the equipment or the staff yet. They were working on that until they had enough people to run that extra line, and they got the equipment over the summer so they could start selling. The product is something the students really like and we wanted to be able to sell it again,” Olin said.

Apart from benefiting the school, slushies offer potential health advantages. According to mysportscience.com, an ice slush can effectively lower body temperature, making it a great option for students, especially during gym class. In a study reported by The New York Times, young male recreational athletes who consumed a syrup-flavored ice slurry before exercising in hot conditions extended their endurance by an average of 50 minutes compared to just syrup-flavored cold water, which gave them 40 minutes.

Freshman Colby Thomas gets the blue raspberry slushie every day. He believes that the blue raspberry flavor is the most popular among students.

“This one has the most flavor for me. Sometimes they have different ones, like the white one,” said Thomas.

Beyond the taste, Thomas finds joy in his slushie, saying, “It just makes me happy.”

View Comments (1)