Grades don’t determine student’s knowledge

The intelligence of a student is not determined by the GPA of the student. Created on Canva.
Stephany Ortiz

Grades don’t determine students’ knowledge. Many people assume that if you have higher grades than others, you are intelligent, and if you have low grades, you do not know as much as others. 

A student’s GPA is dependent on the average of a student’s grades on their courses. Schools say it’s important because depending on what type of college or university you want to pursue, you have to have a certain GPA. When it comes to accepting students into a school, they are looking out for those students that have the highest scores.

Many students tend to procrastinate or not do their work even though they know the material. Late points always affect the outcome of a student’s grade, and the grade will not correspond to their knowledge. As an example, if a student scored a 90 percent on a project and turned it in three days later, then the grade would decrease to 75 percent because each day is worth five points. That would change the grade from an A to a C, changing the grade from an assessment of the work done to how long it took them to turn it in. 

Another reason that students’ knowledge cannot be determined by grades is due to their teachers. No teacher teaches the same, and although some students may be learning the same subject, having different teachers will affect them. Teachers are the ones who take the role of grading and teaching. If a teacher likes to be very precise with what she wants students’ work to look like, then it’s more likely that the majority of students will get a lower grade. 

“I think that teachers will always affect students and their grades because sometimes they don’t teach in ways that are helpful to certain students, since nobody learns the same way,” said junior Chiara Mena. 

However if a teacher is “laid back” they might not grade certain things for the corresponding knowledge. As an example, the teacher might just grade work for completion grades and not for the actual accuracy. 

Overall, this demonstrates that the GPA of a student does not determine their intelligence, nor their character.