FVHS marching band wins yet again

Fuquay Varina High Schools marching band, the Marching Bengals, performed at the football game against Willow Springs High School, just before winning the competition.
Fuquay Varina High School’s marching band, the Marching Bengals, performed at the football game against Willow Springs High School, just before winning the competition.
E

FVHS’s Marching Bengals secured yet another title at their most recent competition, which took place Oct. 28 at Northwest Guilford High School. They received a Reserve Grand Champion trophy to show for their skill.

Dominic McMahon, tuba player, said, “It feels good when you get that payoff from months and months of hard work.” 

This school year, the band has already won and placed high marks in several competitions, including a first-place win just a few weeks ago at Middle Creek High School.

Many may not see marching band as a sport, but many of its members disagree.

“No matter what people think, marching band is a sport. It’s very competitive… You’ve got to always be on your feet and willing to adapt,” Reece said.

Members of the band attend band camp, which is time-consuming and intensive,b in addition to rehearsals, which Reece describes as “non-stop drilling.”

However, McMahon claims it’s all worth it in the end, which is easy to see thanks to their multiple wins. 

“When you have been performing as long as I have, you sort of realize when you won just because of how it feels on the field,” trombone player Brock Reece said.