FVHS mens basketball team defeats Willow Springs, wins another Bell

Fuquay Varina High Schools men’s varsity basketball team won against Willow Springs High School, resulting in much excitement from viewers in the stands.
Fuquay Varina High School’s men’s varsity basketball team won against Willow Springs High School, resulting in much excitement from viewers in the stands.
Ella Wachtel

The FVHS mens basketball team looks to turn their season around after beating Willow Springs High School by a score of 38-34.

This win is a big one for the Bengals, as this is their first of the season. Fuquay continued their great second half performances, scoring 21 in the second.

Willow Springs was a tough opponent, having a 2-5 record. This record makes them seem easier than they were, even though they had all of their games within single digits, even against teams that the Bengals struggled against. All of this to say, it was no simple task beating Willow Springs. 

One player that had an electric offensive performance was Abdou Diop, scoring 23 points and 3 assists. 

“My stats don’t matter until we start winning games,” said Diop.

With this big win, Fuquay has once again won the Battle of the Bell, making Fuquay 6-1-1 in Willow Springs matches, across all sports. The one loss being in womens basketball where they lost 56-22, and the tie was from mens soccer, when both teams were knotted at 2.

Even though they lost their next game, against Athens Drive, it was only by five points, which shows that there may be a gradual turn around of the season.

The next mens basketball game is Friday Dec. 15, at 7:45, at Corinth Holders High School.