FVHS Cheerleaders are ready for the new football and basketball season

Fuquay Varina High School Cheerleaders performed at the Fuquay-Varina Bengals vs Corinth Holders.
    Ella Wachtel

This year the varsity cheerleading squad has 13 members, and they are ready to display their skills at Fuquay games.

Six members of the varsity cheer team graduated last spring out of 11 cheerleaders. This year they have 13 cheerleaders on varsity cheer, including three freshmen. 

Freshman Ava Medlin made the varsity cheer team.

“I was really happy when I found out I made it, and I feel like it’s a big accomplishment. I’m excited for the next four years because I can keep working hard and do more things,” said Medlin.

The team cheers on the football team along with the basketball team. One of the prominent roles cheerleaders have is to support and cheer on the school at pep rallies and games. They strive to hype up the school and show school spirit.

FVHS Senior Mariana Linnares is a member of the varsity cheerleading team and has been cheering for seven years. 

“The bonding with my teammates and the joy that comes from being able to hit a stunt and a tumbling pass is what makes me happy!” said Linnares.

That is one of the main goals the cheer team has when they are out on the sidelines cheering on the FVHS players. 

Tryouts for the team took place in early August before school even started.

“Day one we learn a cheer, dance, jumps, and we tumble. And for day two we show it to the cheer coaches. We perform it,” said Linnares.

Linnares said her favorite part about cheerleading on the school cheer team is that they all work together as one. They cheer and help each other out. She said this team feels like a family rather than just a team.