Schoolwork on paper versus computer

Doing school work on paper and on the computer have different positives and negatives.
Photo by Scott Graham on Unsplash

In recent years, a computer has become the norm for school equipment. Students in our generation experienced the switch between paper and digital work, due to virtual school during the pandemic. Some students prefer doing things on paper, and some love it now on computers.

Studies have been done to prove that writing things with pencil and paper helps the information to stay in your memory. In my personal experience, I believe this to be true. That is why I use flashcards when studying and make sure they are handwritten ones and not digital.

While school work done on paper has its perks, it does have downsides. Using so much paper on a daily basis in schools is a flaw within itself, not to mention the ink used. Along with this, paper can be easily lost or misplaced.

Computers have benefits too. Computers are fast and they can be easily organized by each student to make finding documents, messages, and assignments much easier. It allows for easy turn in methods, and it’s easier to carry around and use.

But I do miss paper much more, even just for taking notes. Computers and Chromebooks have their downsides. They can be slow, they require wifi, and people can easily become confused or distracted. And for me and other students, it’s harder to remember what you type.

“I liked using highlighters and pens to do my work. It gives me a little more motivation to do my work. Writing on paper helped me to learn better too,” junior Elaine Stuber said.

A lot of people use utensils that help them do their work; it even makes me feel more productive. With computers, we don’t have those things.

There is something about writing with pencil and paper that makes me feel like I am actually learning, like I am applying what I am writing to memory. 

Doing school work on paper is beneficial and the way I like to study.