Five FVHS students accepted into Governor’s School of North Carolina

Five students, Shelby Schneider, Addison Smith, Naomi Grace Tate, Brooke Dilley, and Ajike Olborounto, from Fuquay Varina High school got accepted into Governor’s School.
Ella Wachtel

Congratulations to Naomi Tate, Brooke Dilley, Addison Smith, Shelby Schneider, and Ajike Olorounto on being accepted into the Governor’s School of North Carolina.

The Governor’s School is an academic program that lasts four weeks in the summer. It’s a residential program that has many academic disciplines on two campuses: East and West. The location of Governor’s School West campus will be at Greensboro College, while Governor’s School’s East campus will be at Meredith College. This year, the program will be from Sunday, June 23, 2024, to Saturday, July 20, 2024

Getting into the school wasn’t an easy process. These students had to be nominated by FVHS and apply to Governor’s School. Applications opened in October, and the students heard about their acceptance in March.

“I want to continue to go to Governor’s school for the rest of high school,” said sophomore chorus student Addison Smith.

Even though Governor’s School is hard to get into, it is a program that doesn’t consider credits, tests, or grades when thinking about applications, only talent.

The areas of experience and study that these students are participating in are diverse. These disciplines that students are nominated for are called “area ones.” 

Smith is focusing on choral music for her area one, as an alto two. Junior Brooke Dilley is participating in theater as her area one. Junior Naomi Tate is participating in choral music as an alto one. Sophomore Shelby Schneider is focusing on choral music for her area one, as an alto two. Junior Ajike Olorounto is participating in English as her area one.

This is a very exciting experience and opportunity for these students. 

“I’m looking forward to making new friends and having more opportunities to experience music,” said Smith.

Other students agree that they can’t wait to meet new people. 

“I’m excited for a new experience,” said Schneider.