Hot air balloon festival returns to area

Hot air balloon festivals are popular throughout the world and could be coming locally soon.
Public domain

The Balloon Glow & Laser Show June 7-8, 2024 is returning after its discontinuation in Fuquay Varina. The gates will open at 5 p.m. to the public and will close after the 9 p.m. laser and glow show.

The festival was canceled for a few years because they did not have property in Fuquay for the hot air balloons and set up for the light show. The property was sold to build Fleming Loop Park at that location. The festival will now take place in Holly Springs at Sugg Farm Field, which is connected to Bass Lake. 

At this family festival, you can ride in a hot air balloon for only $25 per person. There will be a kid zone with games, rides, and bouncy houses for entertainment. It also includes food vendors, live music, and craft and retail booths.

¨When I went into their hot air balloon, the view was amazing. The heat from the balloon made it cozy,¨ said freshman Sarah Fogarty.

At 9 p.m., you can set up your chair and blankets to watch the light show. The show includes lasers and hot air balloons and involves the crowd in a countdown to watch the hot air balloons light up the sky.

¨When I was little, I used to go all the time. It was fun! I’m glad it’s coming back and recommend going,¨ said sophomore Emma Campbell.

Parking is free, but tickets are limited. Volunteers are needed to help the pilots set up the balloons. Listen for updates on the weather conditions for the balloon festival to proceed carefully.

If you have never rode in a hot air balloon before, now is the time to check it off of your bucket list. It’s a once-a-year opportunity close by, so don’t miss out on it.