Everything to know about the Moana sequel

Stephany Ortiz
A new Moana movie is going to be released and there are plenty of thoughts for the upcoming sequel. Created on Canva.

With the first look announcement of the long-awaited sequel to the extremely successful Disney movie, “Moana,” fans are excited and wondering what this new movie entails. However, some are worried that the movie won’t live up to its expectations.

“I liked the first ‘Moana’ movie, but Disney sequels have been historically bad so I don’t think it’ll be good,” said freshman Jackson Page. 

The second title in the “Moana” franchise was announced months after Disney was rumored to be producing a live-action remake of the movie. Live-action remakes of classic Disney movies have received mixed reviews in the past, resulting in fans being skeptical about this concept.

“I think it could be interesting to see ‘Moana’ in live-action, but it would also be strange because the movie was released not that long ago,” said senior Leah Warner.

Page agreed, saying, “A live-action movie would be cool, but I’m sick of remakes.” 

Recent reviews of Disney movies have left fans wanting more from the animation studio.  

“I hope this new movie does really badly so Disney has more proof that they need to step it up,” said Page.

The talk of this new movie supposedly being a TV show concerned fans as well. Many people don’t like the formatting on Disney+, the platform where a lot of new media is in the form of shows. 

“I think it makes sense for the new sequel to be a movie because the original was a movie, but it might have been interesting to see what more they could have explored in the world of Moana as a TV show,” said Warner.

However, fans are still excited about a new title in the Disney lineup. They are hopeful this new movie will be different from recent Disney movies and keeps the creative charm that was seen in the first “Moana” movie.