Students at Fuquay Varina High School express negative opinions about the 2024 prom theme: Beach
Ella Wachtel

Theme for Prom is beach

Many students are upset about the 2024 Prom theme. The theme for 2024 is “beach.” People are not only confused on how this theme can be incorporated into a formal event, but they are also aggravated at the “waste of potential and imagination” as junior Alayna Johnson put it.

Considering the wide variety of choices available for a prom, it’s upsetting that such a basic and informal choice was made.

Others are supportive of the choice of the theme, believing it is a fitting choice of theme for 2024.

“It’s the start of summer, going to the beach and all that good stuff. As well as the end of the school year which is summer,” senior Jeziel Gonzalez said. The same student states that regardless of his feelings towards the theme, “Most people are not going to go all out beach theme because it is prom. They are just going to put the flower necklace thing over their attire.”

Students are left lost on how to incorporate the beach theme into their suits and dresses further than the random link of flowers around their necks.

While yes, a portion of the student body likes the theme, many students don’t. There are benefits to the theme, such as less costs and more of a basic theme means easier organization. 

“If you want people to dress formally, don’t make the theme ‘beach’. There is no such thing as a beach prom dress or a beach tux,” junior Lola Case stated.

“I dont think it’s the best theme, considering I’m a senior. When you think about prom, you think of long sparkly dresses. Beach does not fit long sparkly dresses…. Frankly, I wish they would change it, since this is my last year,” Senior Sanai Mondie stated.

Considering the fact that prom is already around the corner for our school, changing the theme this late in the planning process might be impossible. Even an underwater theme would be more appropriate and fit somewhat what they have already planned. 

Even if we aren’t able to change the theme for this year, we can help to make choosing Prom’s theme to become more of a student body decision. 

There are a lot of opinions within our school, and there is no choice that would satisfy everyone. But it would be beneficial to allow students to have a say in their Prom event. Seniors can further enjoy a large part of their high school send off, if they appreciate the theme of Prom.

The Prom theme should be something that the majority of the student body or at least the majority of the classes can enjoy. Considering this is one of our only two dances of the school year each year, students do want it to be memorable.