Spotify was the top choice among students at Fuquay Varina High School for the best music platform.
Lily Key

Which music streaming app is the best?

The debate over which music app is better has been discussed for a long time. Some prefer Spotify with its ability to be used for free, while others prefer Apple Music which has zero ads and unlimited skips included in the subscription service. 

Based on a poll conducted on our Instagram, the majority of students at FVHS prefer Spotify with Apple Music coming in second place.

“It’s a lot easier because I’m on a family plan,” said junior Alyx Tidwell, who admits Spotify is much better if the premium version is used, but there are still some bonuses.

One unique feature of Spotify is the end of the year Wrapped, which shows the user an overview of their top five artists, songs, and genres from the entire year. 

Tidwell says he likes the Spotify Wrapped but said, “Sometimes when I loop one song for a bit and then never listen to it again it ends up as my top song.” Although Spotify originated the Wrapped, some other apps have started to put out their own end-of-the-year replays. 

“I usually just use Apple, because Spotify seems confusing,” said senior Asher Bradford. Both Bradford and Tidwell have subscriptions paid for by their parents.

Many people prefer family plans when buying premium subscriptions because it allows for up to five or six members on one account, depending on which app you use. 

Bradford has used other apps like YouTube in the past but expressed it wasn’t appealing. “You can’t turn off your phone without the music stopping, but with Apple, you can,” said Bradford.

Students overall seem to prefer to use Spotify, maybe due to its free version or the Spotify Wrapped to look forward to at the end of the year. Spotify is an app that continues to stand out against the crowd, despite its competition.