How Fuquay-Varina High School is Celebrating Black History Month

Black History Month is celebrated annually from Feb. 1 to March 1. It is a celebration to spotlight the accomplishments of African-Americans and all their amazing contributions to society. If you’re looking for a way to become more involved within your community, here are a few places to start.

Fuquay-Varina High School’s library has a variety of books and genres. This month’s feature offers a variation of Black authors, cultures and voices you can support throughout this historical month.

“We want to highlight authors and voices in the Black community,” FVHS librarian Allison McAuley shared while showing all the books on display written by Black authors and Black stories. “A trend we are currently seeing a lot is the variety of cultures of these authors, which they are now incorporating into their writing by including different mythology and folklore.”

No matter what genre or writing you are into, there are many options to choose from in the various Black History Month displays at the library.

There are also many ways to be involved in Black History Month not only during school hours but after school as well. 

Fuquay-Varina High School previously had a Black Student Union, but as of last year, it’s not active anymore. However, a new program is currently “in the works,” as confirmed by guidance counselor Tricia Myers. The new program will be available and active as of Feb. 29.

“It’s an important month to celebrate and make Black voices heard,” McAuley imparted. Fuquay-Varina High School is celebrating this special month and doing exactly that.