The Voice of Fuquay-Varina High School

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

MatPat retires

MatPat+retires

Mathew Patrick launched “The Game Theorists” on YouTube in 2011. Since then there have been four other theorist channels. Those channels are “The Film Theorists,” “The Food Theorists,” “The Style Theorists,” and “GTLive.” 

In these channels, MatPat makes theories about video games, movies, food, and clothes. Some of these theories include “Why FNAF Will Never End,” “How to KILL DEADPOOL,” “Chuck E Cheese Pizza, Should You Be Scared?,” and “These Shoes can KILL!” MatPat has since become an iconic part of YouTube’s history. He even hosted last year’s Streamy Awards and was featured in the “Five Nights at Freddy’s” movie.

“I’ve had many nostalgic moments from Game Theory and I’ve had times where I don’t watch him for a very long time but when I go back I have good, nostalgic memories because it was something that defined my childhood,” said junior Colby Taylor.

But alas, MatPat’s time has come to an end. Yesterday MatPat posted a video titled “Goodbye Internet” where he explained why he decided to retire. MatPat explained that he has been doing this job for 13 years of his life and wants to enter the next phase in his life and spend more time with his family.

“He’s done a lot for a lot of people and needs a break,” said Taylor.

MatPat revealed in the same video that all the channels will still be making videos but with a new person running each channel. MatPat will still be involved with the creative process of the channels. 

Taylor said he’s “probably not” going to watch the new videos without MatPat.

Even thoughMatPat retired from YouTube, he plans on developing new TV shows and video games as this is his lifelong passion. It is sad to see MatPat go as he’s done a lot for the community, including raising over $1 million for charity, but it is time for him to take a long needed break.

View Comments (1)