The Voice of Fuquay-Varina High School

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

Most anticipated games of 2024

With the new year comes new things. This year there are many new games to play and enjoy. 

To kick off the new year, on February 2, 2024, “Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League” will be released worldwide on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Steam. 

The game is set in the city of Metropolis at a time when Brainiac has arrived. Brainiac has kidnapped the citizens and brainwashed the Justice League. Metropolis has become a warzone. No options left, the responsibility to restore order is left in the hands of Argus (the Black Ops government group). Argus recruits criminals Harley Quinn, Deadshot, Captain Boomerang, and King Shark to restore peace in the warzone known as Metropolis. 

Next, on February 29, 2024, “Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth” will exclusively be released on the PS5. 

“Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth” is the second installment in a soon-to-be trilogy. The JRPG (Japanese role-playing game) has nearly 100 hours of gameplay. The game is set after the events of the previous game, “Final Fantasy VII Remake” (2020), and follows the main characters, Cloud Strife, Barret Wallace, Tifa Lockhart, and Aerith Gainsborough after they escape from the metropolis of Midgar. Although the game is called a rebirth, the game will have an entirely new storyline. 

Sophomore Reyli Perez stated, “I’ve played the franchise before, but I’m particularly excited about this game because of the amazing graphics and the brand new storyline.” 

In late 2024, “Star Wars Outlaws,” will release on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Ubisoft Connect. 

“Star Wars Outlaws” is the first open-world game in the Star Wars franchise. The game takes place in between the times of the films “The Empire Strikes Back” and “Return of the Jedi.”

“Risk it all as Kay Vess, a scoundrel seeking freedom and the means to start a new life, along with her companion Nix. Fight, steal, and outwit your way through the galaxy’s crime syndicates as you join the galaxy’s most wanted,” states the About The Game Section of the website of Ubisoft about “Star Wars Outlaws”

Sophomore David Stephens stated, “I’ve always loved the franchise, and I’m really excited for an open-world Star Wars game.”

Next, we fall into a pipe and travel into the Mario Universe, for “Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.” “Paper Mario: TTTD” is to be released mid-year 2024. 

Announced back in September, the game is a remake of “Paper Mario: TTTD” (2004). The fan-favorite game is set to release on Switch with beautiful graphics with both 3D and 2D visuals. “Paper Mario: TTTD” was voted the best Paper Mario game by 80.3 percent on IGN.  

Following the Mario Universe, “Princess Peach: Showtime!” is to be released on March 22, 2024. 

Even though Princess Peach is in more than 100 games, this is only the third game in which Princess Peach is the main protagonist. The game is about when the Grapes and the Sour Bunch disrupt a show at the Sparkle Theatre and Princess Peach and the Toads, her royal subjects, make it their mission to save the show. 

Junior Naomi Tate stated, “I usually don’t play video games, but I do feel inclined to play ‘Princess Peach: Showtime!’ because very rarely is there a game where Princess Peach is the main protagonist.”

There are also many more games to come that have yet to be announced, but these were just some of the top few games that are set to release in the wonderful year that has been 2024.