Chickens are still kickin’ at FVHS

Fuquay Varina High Schools lunch menu tries to replace chicken sandwiches with new entrees.
Fuquay Varina High School’s lunch menu tries to replace chicken sandwiches with new entrees.
Ella Wachtel

The FVHS lunch team has introduced new entrees this month. After a constant stream of chicken sandwiches, it was time for a change. The chicken sandwich and pizza entree will still be available, but the team will be adding past favorites. Some of the returning and new entrees are orange chicken and rice, pizza burger, cheesy garlic flatbread with marinara, fresh tossed salad, three bean chili, and the BBQ pork sandwich, to name a few.

Junior Devan Langlois stated, “Having these new items is a way better style than having the same entree every single day. I think it’s smart to have a backup chicken sandwich and pizza along with these new items.”

Some students and staff wondered if it was the end of chicken sandwiches with them not making an appearance on the last day before break and the first day back. Cafeteria worker Linda Winn has the answer and some insight into what we can expect.

“I have an inventory cap they don’t want me to go over. Sometimes I have to, sometimes I don’t. So I can’t put the food in there if we’re out for two weeks, because if the freezer goes down, we’ll lose that food. So that’s why we didn’t have the chicken sandwiches at the end of the year and when we came back. We try to do a vegetarian option when possible since we have some vegetarians at FVHS. We’re going to eventually go back to bacon cheeseburgers because I said we should do that. I may just make them myself because they’re such a big seller. I’ve been with Child Nutrition for 22 years and I remember when we used to do double bacon cheeseburgers, we used to do double hot dogs. All that’s gone since Covid. I don’t understand, but I guess the product isn’t there anymore,” Winn stated.

Some students disagree with their opinions on the BBQ pork sandwich; however, they agree that the chicken sandwiches are a must-have. Some even have other suggestions.

Junior Jack Kepke stated, “I think I had the BBQ pork sandwich and it was not good. It was some weird rib-looking thing with pickles on top. Waste of my money. The chicken sandwiches are good if they cook them right. It would be great if the spicy chicken sandwiches had more spice and seasoning though.”

BBQ pork sandwich supporter sophomore Luke Foote thinks it’s a good option. 

“I like the BBQ pork sandwich; it sounds really good. The spicy chicken sandwiches could use more spice though,” Foote stated.

Despite the new additions of food, students still seem to desire the chicken sandwiches, especially the spicy ones. Though the schedule says FVHS will serve the sandwiches, they are yet to be seen this year. Are students going to make it without their chicken sandwich fix?