‘The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes’ is out now

The prequel to one of the most famous film franchises, ‘The Hunger Games,’ was released in theaters, Friday, Nov. 17. 

Eight years after the previous Hunger Games movie was released, the franchise returns with a story set before the time of Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mallark. 

Junior Brooke Diley stated, “I am excited for the upcoming movie due to the film franchise being good, so I think this one will also be good.”

The book on which the movie is based, released in May 2020. The book takes place in the setting of the tenth annual Hunger Games in Panem. The story later goes more in-depth into the lives of Coriolanus Snow, who in the original franchise is depicted as the tyrannical President Snow, and Lucy Gray Baird, who was previously mentioned as the first Hunger Games winner of District 12. 

Sophomore Ciara Hassig said, “I think the Hunger Games movie is going to be good, and I’m looking forward to it because I enjoyed the books.”

In the movie, Coriolanus Snow is shown as an 18-year-old ready to show the Capital what he is made of at such a young age. To show Panem that he is ready for anything, he decides to become a mentor for one of the chosen tributes. In the 10th annual Hunger Games, Snow is chosen as the mentor of Lucy Gray Baird. 

Trailers then depict an intense showdown on the battlefield against other competitors and other factors to induce fear in the tributes. 

It is also hinted that Gray and Snow may be in a romantic relationship. This may imply that at some point President Snow may have had a soul and emotions, unlike in the first Hunger Games movies. 

Prior to the release of the movie, the main song from the film was released at the beginning of November. The song, “Can’t Catch Me Now,”  was made by musician Olivia Rodrigo, and is currently trending on TikTok. The lyrics in the song are truly beautiful and rumors have sparked that the song may even be Oscar-nominated.  

Freshman Ivanelys Ramos stated, “When I listened to the song by Olivia Rodrigo, one of my favorite artists, it was inspiring and very emotional.”

Others also feel the same way about the song. 

Dilley stated, “The song is really good and I think it fits the vibe and book of the movie.”

The movie hits theaters today, so enjoy the experience of an art come to life.