Schools need to be safer

Schools need to be safer

Schools aren’t considered completely safe. Shootings happen all the time and it doesn’t seem like many schools take the right precautions to stop strange people from getting into the buildings or from people bringing in weapons. Schools need better safety features to decrease the chance of shootings.  

FVHS should add metal detectors and have an ID system in place for students. The ID system would be very easy for FVHS because every student is given one already.

But instead of using IDs as a requirement to get into the building, they just give them to you and don’t do anything with them. Student ID’s could be a very reliable way to identify people who enter the building especially because they come with your picture on them. Students could even wear them on lanyards just like the teachers do.

Then after a student uses the ID to get into the building they could have metal detectors to check for weapons. They could couple the two systems with clear backpacks to make it even more difficult to get a weapon into the building.

“It would make things safer but it could also induce tension and paranoia. People might think the increase in security is caused by threats or attacks on our school or others,” said freshman Riley Soboleski.

Paranoia could be a result of increased security, as most people link increased security to increased danger, which is logical. It may also be too expensive for the school to add metal detectors without a fundraiser or donation of some kind.

Schools need to be more safe. The amount of shootings that happen either from students or intruders is far too high.