Influencers are not worth following

Social media influencers have a huge impact on today’s society. While it is easy to be influenced by them, it’s important to keep in mind that the majority of what is shown online is just an illusion. 

Influencers make profit off of promoting what they are sponsored for and collaborating with different brands to receive compensation in return for their content. Many influencers will go out of their way and fool the audiences to promote products that aren’t worth promoting just to get paid. 

Sophomore Kylie McGrogan said, “There was this one time I was scrolling through TikTok and this creator who everyone loved was promoting mascara. I was interested in buying it only to open the comments section and find out that she had on fake lashes.” 

All social media influencers set the standard bar extremely high when it comes to their lifestyle, relationships, appearance, and success. Any items they promote are made as skits. What they portray is unrealistic because no one’s life is perfect. Life comes with its obstacles. 

When younger audiences view content, they get this image of that ideal life. When they start to see that their life isn’t going as smoothly, it messes with their minds, causing them to question what they’re doing wrong. 

Following influencers is a personal choice, but its important to keep in mind that social media is full of lies. Be aware of who and what you’re letting influence you.