High heels on gym floor during Homecoming ‘Just not possible’

Students start ordering tickets as Homecoming gets closer.
Ella Wachtel

FVHS has banned high heels during Homecoming because of the damage it would cause to the gym floors. This caused mixed opinions from the girls attending, with most of them being upset. 

Heels are an essential part of a girl’s outfit. It adds a touch of elegance which any other shoes won’t. Many girls will pair their outfits with heels, especially to an event like this. Knowing they have to take them off when they’re in the gymnasium can be frustrating. 

“I am very confused on how they get everyone excited for the homecoming dance and then tell us we can’t wear heels. I know a couple of my friends and I have brought expensive high heels to go with their dresses and we can’t wear them,” said senior Kendall Britt.

But members of the Student Council say it’s just not possible. 

“The gym floor is really new right now and having heels on it would essentially scratch the floors which would be really expensive to fix,” sophomore Aara Sanghvi said.

“We considered everything else,”  junior Megan Perry added. “Nobody’s happy about it.”

They offered many alternatives, such as being able to wear heels outside for pictures, before placing them in a designated area. On the dance floor, a person can change into sneakers or flats instead of uncomfortable heels they would have probably taken off anyway. 

Though many will be frustrated with this decision, the Homecoming dance is sure to be a blast- heels or no heels. More information about it can be found on the Student Council’s Instagram page, @fv_studco.