Books challenged for offensive actions

Many books over the years have been banned and challenged by schools for the improper content within them. Sometimes, however, the content within these books is needed for students, despite how unsavory it might be.

According to Study.com, an online platform with the goal of making education effective and engaging, “To Kill a Mockingbird” is an unacceptable book for schools. This is a coming-of-age story about the childhood of Scout and Jem Finch as their father Atticus defends a black man falsely accused of sexual assault. While this story sounds somewhat appropriate for school, the actual contents of the book justify the ban to a certain extent. The novel was banned for containing racial slurs, having a negative effect on students, featuring a “white savior” character, and its perception of the black experience. Although the reasons the book was banned are just, “To Kill a Mockingbird” still helps students with understanding respect, and empathy. Overall, other books can teach what “To Kill a Mockingbird” teaches without the same inappropriate content, but it is still good to understand what the novel gets right.

“Animal Farm” is a story written by George Orwell about a group of animals rebelling against their farmer and trying to create a society where animals can be equal and free. The book was banned due to its views on communism, with the fear being that it might affect children who read it. Despite this, the story can still teach us about how power can lead to corruption which is an important topic for students to know.

“Lord of the Flies” is a novel written by Willaim Golding about a group of young boys who are lost on a deserted island. They develop a small society with rules, but without any adults to act as a type of control, the children become violent and brutal. “Lord of the Flies” was banned for a plethora of reasons such as profanity, lurid passages about reproduction, and its negative comments on minorities, God, women, and the disabled. “Lord of the Flies”, like “Animal Farm”, helps teach students about corruption within society. The reason for the book being banned is justified due to its heavy language and topics, but its usefulness can’t be denied.

Many books like these 3 are banned for a good reason, but a lot of them teach heavy and useful lessons for students that other books can’t cover to the same effect. It’s still important to read and understand these great books even if you have to read them outside of class. They teach a lot about our society and even humanity as a whole.