Juniorettes spread breast cancer awareness

The FVHS Juniorettes are spreading awareness about Breast Cancer. Attending rallies and holding meetings to discuss and analyze are effective ways to tackle this topic. The members are very dedicated and appreciate all aspects of listening to their community. Their advisers, Casey Clay and Monica Delgado, are hardworking and passionate about the club and its values.

“This club is significant to me because of the memories and opportunities that are being presented to these young ladies. It is amazing to see their peers advance and become more knowledgeable and successful,”  said Delgado.

The FVHS Juniorettes is a club that promotes kindness and leadership development.  Membership requires an application, short references, and most importantly, all members must be able to participate in outside-of-school projects. 

One of their activities, Custodian Cleanup, took place on Oct. 7. Members helped janitors at FVHS get their job done quickly and smoothly. After school, the members completed tasks like taking out the trash, vacuuming the floor, cleaning desks, and cleaning the common areas.

Juniorettes help the community by volunteering and donating to women’s shelters, helping mothers in local churches, and showing our appreciation for the noble women around us,” said senior Jaclynn Bui, who is a passionate member of the club.

When addressing an issue like Breast Cancer, it is important to understand the facts. According to the CDC, Breast Cancer tends to affect women roughly fifty years or older. Those who undergo the disease can experience pain that can be unbearable and last for prolonged periods. Common treatments are usually surgery, chemotherapy, or hormone therapy. 

The chance that a woman will die from breast cancer is about 1 in 39 (2.5%), according to The American Cancer Society. 

Delgado understands that the Pink Ribbon has importance and represents a time of survival for some and grief for those who have lost a loved one. For Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the Juniorettes left different varieties of pink ribbons around the school to show support. On Oct. 19, the Juniorette students were encouraged to show up to school that day wearing all pink in order to spread awareness. Appropriately named “On Wednesdays We Wear Pink,” photos of students who participated were posted to the FVHS Juniorettes social media page.

“My favorite part about the club is that it is literally girls supporting girls. I absolutely love that, especially now, because it creates such a positive impact in our community,” said sophomore Finley Townes. 

The club is holding a Trick-or-Treating event in the library from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm, on Oct. 31. Members and Delgado hope to see students have fun while making some new friends as well.