Categories:

Teacher Spotlight: Julia McClannon

Get to know and learn more about one of our family and consumer science teachers at FVHS.
Photo by Julia McClannon

Julia McClannon is a dedicated Fuquay-Varina High School family and consumer science (FCS) teacher who currently teaches early childhood education and counseling and mental health. McClannon has been teaching various FCS classes at FVHS since 2010, but took a short break to get her master’s degree before returning in 2015. 

McClannon said, “I have always wanted to be a teacher. I love people and I love helping other people. Since I was old enough to play pretend, I would play school a lot.”

While she was studying to get her degree to be an English teacher, McClannon noticed that she started to not love English as much. When she discovered FCS education she decided to shift her focus.

McClannon said, “I love it because it’s different every day. You can teach so many things within FCS, and I really love the mission to make stronger families and communities.”

Teen living, foods & nutrition, child development, early childhood education, teaching as a profession, and counseling & mental health are all of the classes that McClannon has taught throughout her career, and she is even certified to teach apparel development and design and interior design.

On top of teaching classes, McClannon is also an advisor of our school’s Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America club (FCCLA). FCCLA is focused around FCS classes and teaches students many important life skills. McClannon has worked extremely hard to promote the club and make it as successful as it is today. 

Outside the classroom, McClannon enjoys walking, reading, writing, journaling, crafting and spending time with family. She is also currently writing a textbook as a side project, further showing her dedication to education and learning. 

McClannon always makes sure that her students feel welcome and safe by creating an open environment for each and every class. Her passion for teaching and dedication to her students makes her a very important part of the FVHS community and a huge inspiration to so many people.