Categories:

What’s up, Whataburger

A Whataburger meal shared between friends.
Photo by Jacob Abu-Khalil

Whataburger, founded in 1950, is an American fast-food restaurant chain with over 900 locations in 14 U.S. states. There are many in states around NC, but there are still a lot of areas that are yet to have Whataburger locations.

Now in 2024, there is news that at least two locations are going to open up in the Triangle. So far Whataburger has submitted plans for new locations in Raleigh, Charlotte, Fayetteville, and Greensboro, but they also have plans to open statewide

Many students at Fuquay Varina High School have never even had Whataburger before. 

Senior Kylie Atiles said, “Never had it. Is it just burgers or what?”

Whataburger is going to take over a former PDQ and Applebee’s location, reviving a new restaurant location in the area. The construction plans show that the Applebee’s will be demolished at the intersection of Six Forks Road and Wake Forest Road to build a new, 3,305-square-foot restaurant at the site. 

Senior Jacob Helfer comments, “I know it’s coming to NC, but that’s about it.”

Whataburger would change the game in the area as one of the healthiest fast food joints in the game. According to Gambling.com, their cheeseburger scored an 8.4 health rating. A Whataburger with cheese has the second lowest fat and calorie count of the entire study. The burger also ranked well in the salt and sugar categories. Whataburger’s cheeseburger weighed 340 grams, having 12 grams of sugar, 32 grams of fat, 1651 milligrams of sodium, and 680 calories. One of their competitors, In-N-Out, founded in California, had a score of 8.2 just barely losing due to their salt and calorie level.

Local resident Jacob Abu-Khalil says, “I wish they had one near me.”

The company plans to open the new stores in 2025, so be prepared to see those iconic orange-and-white-striped restaurants and enjoy their burgers “just like you like it.”