Categories:

JV soccer team plays in their first ever Wake County Junior Cup Final

The Fuquay-Varina JV soccer team makes school history with their first-ever appearance in the Wake County Junior Cup Final
Photo by Jumanah Bendra

The Fuquay-Varina High School junior varsity soccer team is preparing for their first ever appearance in the Wake County Junior Cup Final.

The Junior Cup Final is a high school soccer competition in which schools from the area compete in group stages, and the top teams advance to the final match. Points are earned based on their performance in matches. A win is three points, a draw is one point and a loss is zero points. 

FVHS has successfully advanced to the next round of the Wake County Junior Cup and is now set to face Green Hope High School on Oct. 11. Despite FVHS’s strong effort so far, they are considered the underdogs going into this match against a tough Green Hope team, but they’re ready to give it their all. 

The student-athletes have been working hard to prepare for this final. 

Catton said, “We have some outstanding players and if they listen to their coach, they should be able to do well.” 

The team has faced their fair share of challenges this season from adjusting to new formations and tactics to dealing with the pressure of high-stakes games against tougher opponents. 

The coach of the JV soccer team, Jimmy Catton, said, “They have had to adapt to new formations, which is the solid play I like to see, and they have adapted very well. In fact, the record is very good.” 

Not only does the team have to adjust to new formations, but they’re also adapting to a new coach this season.

Freshman Ali Bendra said, “One challenge I faced was getting used to my coach’s accent, but once I did, things got easier.” 

Players have adapted and grown stronger, uniting the team as they strive to bring home the Junior Cup title. 

As the Fuquay-Varina JV soccer team gears up for the biggest match of their season, their hard work, adaptability, and team spirit have set the stage for what promises to be an unforgettable Junior Cup final.

Make sure to catch the highly anticipated Junior Cup Final between Fuquay-Varina and Green Hope High School on Oct. 11 at 5 p.m. The match will be held at Green Hope’s home field, adding an extra challenge for FVHS. With both teams fighting for the title, the game promises to be intense, with every player giving their all to bring home the win.