Time to say goodbye to Coach K

Coach K delivering a speech

Bella Lane, Staff Writer

Beloved Duke basketball coach, Mike Krzyzewski, announced on June 2, 2021, that he will be retiring from his head coaching position at Duke. The legendary men’s basketball coach has spent 41 seasons at Duke and has 1,170 career wins-which is the most in NCAA history.

In a press statement about his retirement, Krzyzewski was quoted saying, “Certainly, I have been blessed to coach some of the finest young men and greatest players in basketball history as a direct result of these unique opportunities. For us, there is no greater joy than being part of our players’ respective endeavors through basketball, and more importantly, their lives off the court.”

Krzyzewski was hired as Duke’s head coach in March 1980 and won his first of five National Championships in 1991. He then won national titles in 1992, 2001, 2010, and 2015. Perhaps, another title in 2022 . . . maybe?

Prior to coaching at Duke, he was head coach at West Point from 1975-to 1980. In addition to having the winningest career of any NCAA coach, Krzyzewski also has six gold medals as the US National Men’s Basketball Team head coach.

After completing his final season at Duke, Krzyzewski will serve as a university ambassador. He hopes to improve Cameron Indoor Stadium and also create an African-American Cultural Center on campus.

Next season, Jon Scheyer will take Krzyzewski’s place. Scheyer played for Krzyzewski from 2006-to 2010 and joined Duke’s coaching staff in 2013. Commenting on his future position, Scheyer said, “Duke University has been a central part of my life for more than a decade, and I could not ask for a better place to continue my career, ” according to Duke’s press release.

Coach K will certainly be missed by Duke and college basketball fans alike. All eyes will be on Scheyer as he becomes the new face of the program, and it will be very exciting to see him in head-coaching action next season.