WCPSS schools keep technology, digitalization one year into in-person learning

Devices+like+Chromebooks%2C+phones%2C+and+tablets+have+become+integral+to+the+daily+school+life+of+WCPSS+students.+For+several+months+throughout+2020+and+2021%2C+technology+was+the+primary+medium+for+students+to+receive+virtual+classroom+instruction.+

Photo by Nikolai Kutsch

Devices like Chromebooks, phones, and tablets have become integral to the daily school life of WCPSS students. For several months throughout 2020 and 2021, technology was the primary medium for students to receive virtual classroom instruction.

Jace Gaddy, Staff Writer

COVID-19 put our world into a frenzy, shutting down mostly everything, changing lives and the world as we know it. One of the most noticeable effects of COVID-19 was its effect on schools, putting all schools across the country in a virtual state. This was extremely hard for schools to adjust to due to the various problems surrounding going virtual, one of the greatest problems being computers and getting kids accessibility to technology.

For Wake County school board, their highest priority was getting each and every student a laptop ¨The goal is to give all 162,000 students a device by the start of the 2021-22 school year,¨ said WCPSS Chief Technology Officer Marlo Gaddis. With this mandate being put into place students across Wake County, each student how has their own personal laptop for school use.

Over the pandemic period, students had to learn to adjust to online learning and work from online websites. This change in teaching was brought over from online learning and is now used in everyday teaching. In every classroom teachers provide laptops for students to use for the class period. ¨I don’t have to write multiple-choice tests anymore,” said Jonathan Bushhouse, a teacher at FVHS. “Less paper is used, [the computer] gives me instant feedback from the test, [and] also allows me to see what my students are doing and if they’re off task.”

The benefits of computers in the classroom are perfect for students who need easy access to the web for assignments, homework, and other coursework. Jaelyn Batts, a freshman student at Fuquay-Varina High School, stated “The computers help when I forget my own personal computer, and [they help me] stay organized with assignments.¨

Teachers and students, all under the roof of Fuquay-Varina, see the benefits and importance of computers in the classroom. With increased productivity, increased eco value, and increased organization, computers give students and teachers a higher rate of productivity and achievement while making the school more advanced in technology.