Do we really need phones to pass the school day?

FVHS students spend time during the school day looking at a phone. (Photo by Annie Myers)

Annie Myers, Staff Writer

If you’re one of the many students who bring their phones to school, you’ve probably checked a text message from your mom or sent a quick Snap to your friends, but have you thought about the Wake Country School System banning them altogether? 

According to a research article by the Cyberbullying Research Center in 2016, 66% of schools have already banned cell phone use on campus, so why should WCPSS be any different?

It’s pretty clear that our society has developed an obsession with technology, and whether you find this a problem or not, really think about the time you (or someone you may know) takes away from your teacher’s lesson by being on their phone. 

However, before we consider eliminating phones altogether, it’s important to remind ourselves of the reason we have them at school to begin with. According to an article by Family Education, “Parents worry about everything from bullying, to random violence, to car accidents when their children are not only at school, but also attending activities directly after school.”

It’s not just emergencies. Maybe parents need to find their child in the parking lot, or students have to let their parents know that they need them to pick them up after school. Texting parents during a test is obviously the wrong idea, but there’s no doubt that having their parents in their pocket is quite convenient. 

Aside from emergencies, cellphones, similarly to laptops, offer educational apps that help with studying and quick games to use in the classroom. Oxford learning released an article describing teaching apps as tools that, “ Teach students to develop better study habits, like time management and organization skills.”

Whether it’s Kahoot, Blooket, Gimkit, or Nearpod, a lot of apps require students to enter quick codes and quickly pull out a phone for studying. While a lot of students might prefer their laptops for schoolwork, some of these activities still work more efficiently on their phones. 

Finally, there are many possibilities to control that students are being taught with devices. Lisbdnet shared an article announcing, “[Phones] can also be an asset to the student by teaching them responsibility and preparing them for their future jobs.”

Although some might say that phones are a distraction from learning in the classroom, others will argue that without phones, parents wouldn’t feel as confident about the security of their children at school. Phones are helpful tools for studying, and although some students may abuse their privileges in class, most use them to benefit their learning experience.