Student-Athlete of the Month: Taryn Wheaton

Bella Lane, Sports Writer

Taryn Wheaton, Student-Athlete of the Month, is a member of the Fuquay-Varina High School women’s varsity basketball team. Wheaton averaged 12.3 points per game and was the leading scorer for the team for the season; she also led the team in most rebounds. Not only does Wheaton shine on the court, but she also shines off the court.

While the FVHS varsity women’s basketball team had many memorable moments this season, Wheaton says the best was on senior night. “Beating Cleveland on senior night was the best moment this season,” she explained. Fuquay beat Cleveland by a score of 45-42 that evening.

As a student-athlete, balancing school and sports can be difficult. Wheaton says that in order to balance school and sports, she tries to, “Keep school as the priority first,” she said. As the phrase goes, ‘student’ comes before ‘athlete.’

Wheaton is a phenomenal basketball player, who has played ever since she was little. “I have played basketball and ran track, but basketball has always been my favorite to play since I’ve been doing it ever since I was young,” she said. Wheaton’s parents placed her in the Cary rec basketball league when she was six and has played ever since.

Wheaton comes from an athletic family, who all have played sports.“My whole family has played sports, but my grandpa, uncle, and my brother played football at West Virginia University,” Wheaton explained. Wheaton’s brother, Bryce Ford-Wheaton, is a wide receiver for WVU who recently graduated.

After high school, Wheaton plans on attending college. “I plan to go to UNC Charlotte next year and major in business,” she said.

Outside of basketball, Wheaton enjoys many activities. “I like to hang out with my friends, go to the gym and hang out with my boyfriend,” she said.

Of the many NBA players, Wheaton admires only one. “Lebron is my favorite player because he is the greatest of all time to ever do it,” said Wheaton.

Congratulations to Taryn Wheaton as FVHS’s Roaring Bengals Student-Athlete of the Month.