Should school start later?

Dylan Barbeau, Staff Writer

The sun rises early in the morning at FVHS as many students roll out of bed as early as 5:00 a.m. (Photo by Dylan Barbeau)

Many students at FVHS wonder if school should start sooner or not. Some believe that school starting later is a good thing as students get more sleep while others believe that it is bad because it would cause scheduling issues. However, I believe that the positives far outweigh the negatives.

One of the positives of starting school later is the health and academic benefits that arise. It allows students to get an ample amount of sleep along with improved academic performance. It also allows students to not have a reliance on caffeine and reduced health risks, such as anxiety, diabetes, and depression, according www.verywellfamily.com.

Starting school later also helps the safety of students. A later start would mean less time students would be at home alone, which decreases the time a student would make a negative choice. More sleep also means that students are more alert and aware, effectively reducing vehicle accidents, according to www.vittana.org.

One final thing that a later starting point for school would do is that it would increase the overall health, both physical and mental, of students. For physical health benefits, students not facing sleep depravity face fewer chances of diabetes, high blood pressure, and obesity. On the  mental side, students who get an ample amount of sleep face fewer mood swings than normal, according to www.everttsd.org.

Overall, school starting later would have mental health, safety, and physical health benefits for all students. A solution to this problem would simply be just delaying the starting period by 30 minutes.