This FVHS club is for you

FVHS+students+support+their+BSU+with+a+memorial+to+MLK+JR+%28photo+courtesy+of+BSU+club%29+

FVHS students support their BSU with a memorial to MLK JR (photo courtesy of BSU club)

Olivia Del Pinal, Staff Writer

Robotics Club:

If you have an interest in learning, designing, promoting, or controlling a robot, then the Fuquay-Varina High School Robotic Club would be a good fit for you. 

The Fuquay-Varina High School Robotics Club is a group of individuals who work together to create and encourage each other in the field of STEM. The mission of SLICE Robotics is to Serve the community by inspiring FVHS students to be science, technology, and business Leaders and Innovators. With essential help from the local Community, members strive to develop well-rounded life capabilities including self-confidence, professionalism, and pursuit of Excellence. 

This club will give you real-life experience doing things you never dreamed you could do in the area of business and technology,” said adviser Norm Dion. 

The Robotics club is currently in its very first build season and will be participating in the First Robotics Competition. FIRST® (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) is a robotics community that prepares young people for their future through a suite of inclusive, team-based robotics programs for ages 4-18 (PreK-12) that can be facilitated in school or structured afterschool programs.

The SLICE Robotics Club is also currently in its very first build season and is looking for sponsors to help fund the creation of its very own robot that will allow them to participate in many FRC events. These donations will support the students who are interested in pursuing STEM. In exchange for sponsorships, the club will provide multiple opportunities for company recognition during the 2021-2022 season. 

Joining the club is easy. All you have to do is attend one of the club’s weekly meetings and be actively involved. Meetings are from 2:30-3:00 pm every Wednesday. 

“The Robotics Club is a fun chaotic environment that people are constantly working through. You don’t need any previous experience to join the robotics club,” said club member Jonathan Shindler. “Also, the Robotics Club is very aware of its members and utilizes them to support each other rather than letting the responsibility all fall on one person.”

Black Student Union (BSU):

If you are interested in learning and celebrating your own culture or learning about others, then the Black Student Union is the club for you.

Black Student Union is a student-led organization of black students and their allies dedicated to the empowerment, education, and protection of Black students. They strive to create an equitable environment where they capitalize on their diversity to unite the community through cultural awareness, Black excellence, and inclusivity. 

“BSU is a great way to learn more about the black community and to give back. We encourage unity, diversity, and uplift the voices of black students,” said President Janaal Opiyo, a student at FVHS. 

The club strives to complete a community service project such as the winter warmup drive, every year. They recently had a laundry detergent drive through February and a Black History Month program on February 17. 

Safe Space Club: 

The goal of Fuquay-Varina High School’s Safe Space Club is to help every student feel welcome, regardless of gender, race, or sexuality everyone is valued and appreciated. In this club, they believe that everyone is deserving of acceptance and deserves a safe place to be able to discuss anything without fear of judgment. 

Safe Space takes an active role in securing and protecting rights, including those of safety and equality, for all students. The club frequently raises awareness for important issues, communicates about personal experiences, and celebrates its differences and similarities as people.

“It is a great place to make friends and discuss your day. The group is exceptionally empathic and kind. It is a welcoming space. All you have to do is just start attending meetings and we will share the Google Classroom information,” explained librarian and advisor Alison Norris. 

Currently, there are 20 or so active members, and as of right now, they are an informal club but in the future may consider events. 

“People from all walks of life are accepted,” said Norris. “You do not need to be a member of the LGBTQIA+ community to join. Allies and kind people are always welcome.

Student Council: 

The purpose of the Student Council is to stimulate student interest and encourage participation and spirit in all school affairs, to promote high standards of citizenship in the school, and to develop, through actual practice, love and respect for democracy among the students. 

“Anybody who is interested in leadership, community projects, and school events should come and join Student Council,” said adviser Jenn Anderson. 

This club organizes many school events, including Homecoming, school dances, and charity drives. Thirteen students from each grade level will be welcomed to the organization in the spring, as chosen by a class election. Currently, they are planning for spring events and working on writing constitutions for the club. 

Writing Club:

The Writing Club is a collaboration of writers who are seeking to refine their writing skills and share their works with their peers in a comforting environment. They strive to grow as writers and as a community. 

They currently have six to eight members who attend meetings regularly and meet on Mondays to discuss and practice their writing. This is a place where students can get information about writing competitions and share their writing and ideas. To join, all you have to do is attend meetings on Mondays. 

“We would love to grow our numbers and Interests,”  said adviser Katherine Waller. 

The Writing Club is hosting an FVHS Writing Competition for all students. More information about the competition will come later on in the month.

Fuquay Varina High School has a club for everyone. Visit the FVHS Homepage, click on activities, and then Clubs/Organizations to learn more about what the school has to offer.