Fuquay’s spring sports teams perform well in State playoffs

Fuquay+softball+player+Kendall+Smith%2C+junior%2C+makes+a+defensive+play+on+the+ball+while+Ayala+Durant%2C+freshman%2C+prepares+to+back+Smith+up+during+the+teams+regular+season.+The+team+advanced+to+the+fourth+round+of+the+State+playoffs%2C+losing+to+D.H.+Conley.+

Photo courtesy of Matthew Battle

Fuquay softball player Kendall Smith, junior, makes a defensive play on the ball while Ayala Durant, freshman, prepares to back Smith up during the team’s regular season. The team advanced to the fourth round of the State playoffs, losing to D.H. Conley.

Bella Lane, Sports Writer

It’s time for spring sports playoffs  at FVHS. All of the spring sports teams have done exceedingly well this season, and each did well in the State playoffs.

The FVHS baseball and softball teams both earned trips to the Final Four of the State Playoffs while the baseball team put up a great effort to win game two of their Final Four series to force a third game. 

The  baseball team lost a three-game series in an epic thriller against Pinecrest. Fuquay’s boys played their hearts out and made it a fun and exciting series to keep up with and watch. Fans saw some great hits in this series from both sides, but for Fuquay, it was HL Smith, Bobby Osborne, and Andrew Keller who led the way.  

Softball lost to a tough D.H Conley team, however, they still played their hearts out. For a team without seniors, the Bengal softball team’s future looks both positive and hopeful.

Fuquay’s womens and mens lacrosse teams made it to the second rounds of their playoffs as well. Congratulations to Caden and Connor Castle for breaking records at FVHS, and congratulations to Drew Wheeler as well for 1st team honors All-State & Region.

Congratulations also goes out to Daniel Boone, a junior at FVHS,who  placed top 10 in the state for golf.

Women’s soccer advanced to the second round of State Playoffs, losing in a heartbreaker in double OT against Southern Alamance. Shae Hassig was honored with the GNRC Defensive Player of the Year while Lauren Laux led the way for the Bengals by leading the team in scoring with 17 goals.

Sophomore Gates Hinton placed 4th in States for discus, and Noah Rhodes is back-to-back regional champion for pole vaulting. 

Congratulations to our women’s soccer, men’s, and women’s lacrosse teams as well for winning conference titles. 

Well done, Bengals.